Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Next Trip To South Sudan is Almost Here!

Where?

          This year we have the opportunity to go to a new part of South Sudan that I have not been to before.  My team and I will be going to villages near the city of Yei (pronounced “Yay!!”).  The network of churches we assist in South Sudan used to have a strong presence in Yei but in the last few years these churches have struggled.  We will be partnering with David Taban, a pastor and one of the new church leaders in Yei to help breathe life into these churches.

What?

         What does that mean we’ll be doing exactly?  In our short week we will be teaching local church leaders how to mentor others and how to teach basic truths of the Bible to new Christians, as well as providing more in depth theological education on the book of Ephesians.  With everything we do we aim to teach in a way that is culturally relevant to them and with the goal that those we teach can then go teach others.  We want everything we do to be sustainable and reproducible. 

How?

          As with all my trips I am raising support to pay for the cost of flying half way around the world and having a place to stay where there is food. The fundraising piece of a trip like this is one of the most humbling aspects.  When going to a desperate new country like South Sudan it should be easier to say “wow I need help!”  But at times in my pride as an educated westerner I forget how much I need the help of God and other people.  Asking other’s to help with the cost of a trip like this is a humbling reminder of my need because it makes it so obvious.  I literally can’t go without the help of others. 

The total I’m attempting to raise is $4100.  I have some funds left from the trip we canceled last year but there is still quite a bit of funding to make up.  If you are willing and able to give you can do so here https://empower-one.managedmissions.com/MyTrip/kellygarrett1



             

No comments: