Thursday, January 24, 2008

How did I get here?


I graduated in December of 2005 with the plan of working for a few years, saving some money and moving overseas for some time. A few months later, as I was wasting away interviewing for jobs I didn't want and doing part time jobs I wanted even less, my friend Travis Black called me to ask if i would be interested in moving to Egypt for a year to be a youth intern at a church he might be working at as the youth pastor. Egypt had never crossed my mind and was nowhere in my plan and after the first phone call I pretty much dismissed the idea. A month passed and another phone call came. Travis would be the youth pastor at Maadi Community church and he wanted me to move to Egypt to work with him. It was March at this point. I had not found a job yet, I wanted to live in the Middle East, I wanted to do youth ministry, I wanted to work for a church as diverse as the one he had described. Plans changed in a matter of days and in July of 2006 I came to Cairo.

No comments: