Thursday, January 24, 2008

My first year. A small tree with a lot of fruit.

My first year in Cairo can best be described as a small tree that bore a lot of fruit.
I had one main focus and that was the youth ministry. I had a few friends my age and that was mostly the youth staff. Some things were big such as the family of seven that I have lived and a city of 20 million people like Cairo never lends itself to simplicity. But in comparison to this year life was simple. It was year that tore down a lot of preconceived notions of others and of self. It was a year that opened up the possibilities of new gifts, like a flickering passion to teach and the occasional new word in a foreign language. It was a renaissance for old passions such as loving people and helping them find the freedom to become completely themselves. It was a year of planning and programming and throwing it all out the window so that God could do what He wanted. It was year where 4 people found a family in each other. It was abundant but simple. The lessons were simple but hard. I was simple but overflowing with life. Maybe the past just always seems simpler. We forget the details and the bumps that have since been smoothed out. And so I remember it as simple, as a small spring pouring forth new water. But the fruit would fall from the tree, the spring would cause a flood, and a wild jungle oasis would grow in the middle of the desert, exploding with life from it's simple beginning.


No comments: